Reporting to: Volunteer Co-ordinator
Description of Healthwatch Devon
Healthwatch gives people a powerful voice locally and nationally. At a local level, Healthwatch Devon works to help local people get the best out of their local health and social care services, whether it’s improving them today or helping to shape them for tomorrow. Healthwatch Devon is all about local voices being able to influence the delivery and design of local services. Not just people who use them now, but anyone who might need to in future.
Healthwatch Devon’s objectives are to:
- Improve the experience of residents using health and social care services in Devon
- Take part in decision making about local health and social care, using primary and secondary evidence collected from local people to inform the process and hold services to account
- Provide information to local people about health and care services
- Be the local consumer champion
- Visit local services with powers to observe and assess the quality of publicly funded health and social care services.
- To contribute to the objectives of Healthwatch Devon.
- To enter and view publicly funded health and social care organisations and observe the standard of care given.
- To prepare for visits using an agreed schedule.
- To advocate for the voice of people who use services as part of the system of checks and balances which holds local health and care services to account.
- To record and impartially evaluate the quality of care observed.
- To inform Healthwatch Devon Head Office regarding required actions as a result of carrying out visits.
- To promote membership and participation in Healthwatch Devon.
Individual volunteer placements may carry specific requirements which will be agreed with the partner organisation.
Dependent on the demands placed on the Enter and View programme. Ideally you must also be willing to spend some time “networking” with groups and communities in your local area.
Requirements of the Role
- Confidence to act as an Ambassador in difficult situations.
- Willingness to encourage others to feed their views into Healthwatch Devon.
- A commitment to Equality and Diversity principles and practice.
- Ability to travel across the County to rural and urban care environments, with occasional conferences and workshops outside the County.
How Healthwatch will support this volunteer role
Reasonable expenses to enable your participation will be met in the first instance by Healthwatch Devon.
Training and support to enable you to carry out this role will be provided by Healthwatch Devon. You must complete an induction day and sign a volunteer agreement, prior to attending a one day training session in Enter and View practice, to enable you to participate in the Healthwatch Devon volunteer programme.
Healthwatch Devon is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) with a membership base. To continue in this role you will need to become a member of Healthwatch Devon. Full details on how to go about this will be provided.
NB: This role description is for an unpaid role with Healthwatch Devon and is not intended to form a contract of employment.
How to apply:
Please telephone 01392 248919 ext 113/114 and ask for an application form to be sent out by post. Alternatively you can apply online here.
You will need to become a member of Healthwatch Devon and provide 2 character or professional (or a combination thereof) referees who can vouch for you. References will not be accepted from a spouse, partner, or other family member.
Team members will require a criminal records check . If you would like to talk to a member of staff regarding this, please contact Caroline Lee on 01392 248919 ext 115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.