Healthwatch Devon is the independent consumer champion for people using local health and social care services in Devon.
We listen to what people like about services and what could be improved. We share their views with those with the power to make change happen. People can also speak to us to find information about health and social care services available locally.
We have the power to make sure that people’s voices are heard by the government and those running services. As well as seeking the public’s views ourselves, we also encourage services to involve people in decisions that affect them. Our sole purpose is to help make care better for people.
Our vision is better health and social care services through public involvement.
Our mission is to be an independent, influential consumer champion of health and social care services in Devon.
Our guiding principles are:
- People First. The starting point is always the person with health and social care needs
- Partnership. We work with groups, seeking a stronger voice, together
- Inclusion. We have a particular responsibility for championing the needs of those who are often not heard
- Critical Friendship. Where service providers excel, we recognise and celebrate. Where they are struggling, we advise and support. Where they are failing, we say so.
- Focus. We cannot do everything, everywhere, all the time. We will choose the issues that matter most to people and where we can make a clear difference.
Healthwatch Devon is part of a network of Healthwatch organisations across England. Healthwatch England is the independent national champion for people who use health and care services. Our national organisation ensures that those running services, and the government, put people at the heart of care. Read about Healthwatch England’s eight principles.